Thursday, June 16, 2005

Creative thinking: try lying down

Interesting post from the applied imagination blog:

"Keep that pen and paper by the bed: new research by an ANU PhD graduate suggests it may be that our most creative thoughts come when we’re lying down. Dr Darren Lipnicki, from the School of Psychology in the Faculty of Science at ANU, found that people solved anagrams more quickly when they were lying down compared to standing up. "

Interesting stuff. I like the way these differences can put the odds in your favour when trying to be creative. I wonder what subtle changes will be discovered in the future to aid the creative process? I've heard that a period of very strenuous exercise can lead to an endorphin rush that helps creativity. I've also heard that alternating between a hot sauna and a cold shower works wonders. Meditation also has a case. I wonder what the optimum combination would be?

Jog till you drop
Hot sauna
Cold shower
Hot sauna
Cold shower
Meditate

The cold shower part means this approach will be put on my 'to put off till a (much) later date' part of my 'to do' list.

No comments: