I posted the following question on BrainReactions' Brainstorming tool:
The brain continues to work on problems while we sleep. How can we fully exploit this?
Any thoughts? Here are my initial thoughts:
1) Write the problem on paper (perhaps in mind map form, incorporating colour and images etc)
2) Do some quick free-association on the subject
3) Read the problem statement before sleeping
4) Read the problem statement on waking and see if any ideas immediately come to light. Do some quick free association to see if ideas on the periphery of awareness come to light.
5) Repeat the process each night
Perhaps it would also be a good idea to pen-in some reminders in a diary to consider the problem again: a week from the initial problem statement, a month later and at six months.