Wednesday, July 12, 2006

A creative challenge: captions for a caption competition

If I have started a creative challenge (creating a caption for a caption competition) a good first step is to switch to present moment awareness. This takes the form:

Now here me creating a caption

For the action of 'creating a caption' I can create a word: maybe caption-creating or cap-creating. The switch to the present moment and creating of a word ensures that I don't rush headstrong into creating an actual caption. Options become apparent: I could invite someone else to participate in the creating. I could Google "caption creating". I could research captions that have won competitions before etc.

Creative directive

I can also create a creative directive for my current creative goal. For this challenge this is:

Create a caption

I can texture the creating by introducing adjectives (and words/phrases with adjectival functions). This takes the format:

Create a X caption

With the random word "symmetrical" my directive now reads:

Create a symmetrical caption

This could lead to something like this:

I drink your lemonade because: I drink your lemonade

With a gun-to-head mentality I consider how I can make this work. Here's a possibility:

I drink your lemonade because: I drink YoUr leMonade

More examples

Create ground caption
I drink your lemonade because: it's better than the coffee my wife buys

Create old caption
That creates an interesting idea: I could Google "I buy your lemonade because" and write an actual link instead of a normal caption. Or I could do something like this:

I drink your lemonade because: it's http://www.bliss.me.uk/Images/logo_intro.jpg

Create space caption
There's usually a word limit (usually twelve) on caption competitions. Why not use one word, but make it occupy all the space?
I drink your lemonade because: mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Create question caption
I drink your lemonade because: well, why do you buy it?
which leads to:
I drink your lemonade because: of the same reasons you do

Create sanctuary caption
Hmmm. Enclose the caption in something? ((((((())))))) means 'hug' which could give:
I drink your lemonade because: it (((((((my throat)))))))

No comments: