Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Specific focuses, problem finding and listing thinking

The following methods can be used to find specific focuses and highlight problems in need of solutions.

For this example I want to list different types of thinking - ranging from the obvious choices to the less obvious. I will use the naming/listing approach; so the template I'll use is:

List X thinking

I pick random words to specify the 'x'. My first random word is "rash" which gives:

List rash thinking

I can consider what this means:

1) Thinking that is done quickly
2) The type of thinking done when someone panics

and also use some interpretation/imagination:

3) Thinking that is done when an individual knows they are about to have an accident
4) The thinking of a dermatologist

My next word is "bad" which gives:

List bad thinking

At this point I can treat bad-thinking as a single word in its own right and I can imagine that it has a dictionary entry. The definition would be obvious (but I can look beyond the obvious if I choose). I can now use that new word to list further examples of thinking. The template reads:

List X bad-thinking

Here are various random words and their possible definitions:

Heat bad-thinking = the thinking that is the result of an individual in unpleasant high temperatures
In bad-thinking = introspective thinking that has no feedback from another person
Group bad-thinking = the thinking that occurs in groups (or groupthink)

Creating new words

If my random word is "red" and my template reads:

List red thinking

I can interpret that to mean: the thoughts of people when they are angry. I can create a new word from that - say, "ap-thinking" - and then create a template and list specific cases of ap-thinking:

List delivery ap-thinking = angry thoughts when a delivery is late or repairman doesn't arrive
Mead ap-thinking = angry thoughts resulting from too much alcohol

No comments: