Wednesday, August 23, 2006

The Optician Project: Inger profiling for the listing of information

FreeFoto.comI'm an optician and I'm about to do a project: I'll leave my premises to put advertising leaflets on the windscreens of local cars. I have hired a temp to help me distribute the leaflets. We have fifty leaflets each to distribute.
Introduction

Question: What future people will like the project?
Possible answers: Me (as optician) -- if custom improves. Customers who get a good deal.

Question: What past activities prompted the project?
Possible answers: Lack of customers coming to the shop. My reading about another optician who did a similar project.

Question: What present place hinders the project?
Possible answer: The local car park -- they won't let us put our leaflets on the cars.

Question: What future object will remember the project?
Possible answer: My diary

I call the above questions prompter-questions and the answers (me, customers, visiting, reading, local car park and diary) I call ingers. An inger is a time(s), duration(s), place(s), person(s), project(s), thing(s), object(s) or activity(ies) that did/does/will carry out an action on the subject in the past, present or future. Inger profiling helps with the listing of information about a subject. The other information listed in answering the prompter-question can also be gathered and the inger profiling can continue until an exhaustive list of information is generated. This information can range from the obvious and important to the obscure.

Applying inger profiling to the optician project

I can use the following table to create a prompter-question that I use to name an inger.


I choose a word from box one, a word from box two and then complete my prompter-question by specifying my subject (in this case, the optician's leaflet distribution project). So past (box one) and place(s) (box two) give:

What past place did (an action) on the leaflet distribution project?

Possible answers I can give to this are:

The printers -- who printed the leaflets.
My home -- where I wrote the first draft for the leaflet.
My desk -- where I stored the leaflets ready for distribution.

So my ingers are: the printers, my home and my desk. The useful information (or focuses) created in the answering of the prompter-question includes: the printing of the leaflets, the leaflets, the writing of the first draft, the first draft itself, the storage of leaflets, preparing for distribution, and the distribution itself.

Specifying the action in the prompter-question

I can continue -- as above -- forming the prompter-questions without a specific action or I can name a specific action -- a verb -- for the action part. (See: How to quickly create a list of verbs). Here are some verbs:

Open: Part: See: Cement: Secure: Pave: Paint: Tow: Towards: Change: Gather: Sweeten: Provoke: Ban: Hate: Display: Steal: Protect: Chase

So to form my prompter-question I choose a word from box one and a word from box two. Then I choose an action from the list above, and finally complete the question by naming my subject. Past, Object(s) and Change gives:

What past object(s) changed the leaflet distribution project?
Possible answers: My PC -- where I designed the leaflet and amended the text. The printer's PC -- where they made cosmetic amendments to the leaflets.

More examples

Future, people(s) and steal gives:
What future people(s) will steal the project?
Possible answers: A local business proprietor could be influenced to do a similar project (He will 'steal' the idea). A youngster passing by a leafleted car could steal the leaflet.

Present, activity(ies) and display gives:
What present activity displays the the project?
Possible answers: Our leaving the premises carrying a bundle of leaflets displays the leaflets. The printer reviewing his accounts will see a record of my investment in their services.

More examples (link to come...)

Tag:

No comments: