Friday, August 25, 2006

The Optician Project. Listing information with hindsight-focus

FreeFoto.comI'm an optician and I'm about to do a project: I'll leave my premises to put advertising leaflets on the windscreens of local cars. I have hired a temp to help me distribute the leaflets. We have fifty leaflets each to distribute.

Introduction

Hindsight-focus is a useful strategy for listing more information about a subject. With hindsight-focus I choose a listed piece of information and, in effect, I'm asking "Why didn't I focus on that information before?"; I form a hindsight-question: a question that could've made me give the information as an answer. Then I use that question to list yet more information.

Example

With the Optician Project, the leaflet has been listed. My hindsight-question could be (among other possibilities): "What part of the project uses paper?". I can then use that question to list more information:

What part of the project uses paper?:

I scribbled my first draft on a piece of paper. I'll be paying the temp with cash. I'll be keeping a record of the number of customers generated by the leaflet distribution.

Structuring the hindsight-questions

There are (currently) thirteen ways I use to structure hindsight-questions. An example for each is described here (applied to the information: the leaflets)

Name (1 word)

Subject = leaflets
Hindsight-question: Name an advertisement.
Other answers to the hindsight-question: the job advert the temp saw that made him apply. I saw an advertisement in Yellow Pages for the printers who I chose to print my leaflets.

Name (2 word)


Subject = leaflets
Hindsight-question: Name an essential component.
Other answers to hindsight-question: Us! The distribution. Leaflet recipient's reading of the leaflet. Recipients becoming customers.

Name (3 word or more)

Subject = leaflets
Hindsight-question: Name something that took you hours to prepare.
Other answers to hindsight-question: The route. The leaflet's layout on my PC.

Quantity-spotting

Subject = leaflets
Hindsight-question: What's in a quantity of 100?
Other answers to hindsight-question: Potential customers. 100 distributions. 100 placings of the leaflets onto cars. The print run.

What's (1 word)?

Subject = leaflets
Hindsight-question: What's held?
Other answers to hindsight-question: The windscreen wipers on cars (as we place leaflets on cars). The temp's cash when he gets paid

What's (2 word)?

Subject = leaflets
Hindsight-question: What's green paper?
Other answers to hindsight-question: The original draft.

What's (3 words or more)?

Subject = leaflets
Hindsight-question: What will appear at the distribution street?
Other answers to hindsight-question: Us. The cars' owners. New cars. Passers-by.

What's (superlative)

Subject = leaflets
Hindsight-question: What's needed the most consideration?
Other answers: The wording on the leaflets. Who to employ to help me distribute leaflets. Where to distribute the leaflets. The number of leaflets to distribute.

What's (the size of)

Subject = leaflets
Hindsight-question: What's the size of a paperback book?
Other answers: The plastic bags we are carrying to cover the leaflets (in case of rain). The original draft.

What's (the shape of?)

Subject = leaflets
Hindsight-question: What's the shape of a rectangle?
Other answers: The plastic bags carried to cover the leaflets. The cash paid to the temp.

What's (coloured X)?

Subject = leaflets
Hindsight-question: What's coloured green?
Other answers: The back of the leaflets. The draft. Some of the cars that will receive a leaflet. My rivals (!)

What's (action)ing?

Subject = leaflets
Hindsight-question: What's advertising?
Other answers: Us -- as our presence is seen in the high street.The copy of the leaflet I display at my premises in the window. The project will have been advertised -- to a degree -- to the printer and its staff who saw the advert.

What's (Action...Subject)

Subject = leaflets
Hindsight-question: What's attracting attention?
Other answers: Us. The presence of something on cars will no doubt make some motorists think they have a parking ticket! Our approaching cars and putting leaflets under the windscreen wipers. Our absence at the optician's premises will no doubt be noticed by some (existing) customers.

Tag:

No comments: