Sunday, September 03, 2006

The Optician Project: Creating straight alternatives for the focus-word

FreeFoto.comI'm an optician and I'm about to do a project: I'll leave my premises to put advertising leaflets on the windscreens of local cars. I have hired a temp to help me distribute the leaflets. We have fifty leaflets each to distribute.

In the Creative ANDOR post I used the following layout to show my intention to create alternatives:

The opticians is advertised by the leaflets ANDOR(operations)
________________________ANDOR
______________________(alternatives)

In this post I will be looking at the four approaches that can be used to create straight alternatives to the focus-word (leaflets). These approaches are: Random word, Information from information pool, New information, and Free/unguided choice. The information shown with all four alternative approaches looks thus:

The opticians is advertised by the leaflets
________________________ANDOR
(Random word) (Information from information pool) (New information) (Free/unguided choice)

Random Word

With this approach I use Edward de Bono' s random word technique (see: sources of random words). The random word "valentines" added to my idea format looks thus:

The optician is advertised by the leaflets
_______________________ANDOR
______________________valentines

I can generate several ideas from this:

Make thematic cards (with advertising) for special times of the year.
Have a theme at the premises.
Put advertising leaflets in the cards (or newspapers) on sale at local newsagents.

Information from information pool

With this approach I randomly choose some information from the information pool. For example, Finding the right product for each customer added to my idea format looks thus:

The optician is advertised by the leaflets
_______________________ANDOR
___________Finding the right product for each customer

Which suggests the possibilities:

I (as optician) find a novel way to find the right product for each customer.
The leaflets show my USP: I can quickly and efficiently find the right style of glasses for the customer

The information (also from the information pool): my diary in the idea format would look thus:

The optician is advertised by the leaflets
_______________________ANDOR
_______________________My diary

Which could suggest:

I blog about the project (to advertise my business) and use the blog to publicize my business.
I provide diaries for customers (with my business name emblazoned on the front).

New information

With this approach I focus on the information the leaflets and apply one of the information-listing methods:

Quota listing
Listing key information with category-triggers
Inger profiling
Using random words to list information

in order to to list some new information that pertains to the leaflets. I can remain mindful of my challenge -- to create a means to advertise the business -- while I do this.

For example, if I use Using random words to list information and my random word is "complexity" then my focus will be on the complexity of the leaflet. My idea format looks thus:

The optician is advertised by the leaflets
_______________________ANDOR
___________________the leaflet's complexity

which could suggest that the leaflets are made with an unusual design that attracts attention.

Free/unguided choice

This is the easiest approach of all. I merely write my idea format:

The optician is advertised by the leaflets
_______________________ANDOR
__________________________?

and see if the consideration of alternatives alone is enough to trigger an idea.



Tags:

No comments: