Sunday, April 05, 2009

Word Games To Help With Spelling

I've been creating these word games to help with the spelling of difficult words. The idea is, you generate a sentence that provides clues for the correct spelling of the word. It's also a fun creativity exercise.

Example

Word = exaggerate. They key thing is to create a sentence that highlights the hardest part of the word to spell. In this case it's the double G. So the clue-sentence I've created is:

I'm not exaggerating when I say I must have lost a million pounds on the GGs!

More examples
(the words to spell are in bold, and the spelling reminders are in red):

Definite is hard to spell, init?

Dissection separates a rat.

I can crash over my mum's for accommodation.

I walked past the cemetery: eeek! (or Eeek! Eeek! Eeek!)

Super spelling's always necessary.

Misspelling: (Ji) m is spelling words incorrectly. (Or (the) m is spelling.)

Let me know what you think and if you can think of others.

No comments: