Friday, August 01, 2014

Folio Post 2: The Adviser and Adjectives.

The tl;dr of the previous post was:

When you are working on an activity, imagine you have an adviser sat with you who is offering advice. Interpret that advice.

In that post I said how I imagine an adviser sat next to me when I'm doing a task (in that case it was attacking the creativity challenge "Name 500 uses for a paperclip"). Then the adviser offers a word of advice (a random word generated by me) and I interpret that word: I ask myself, "What advice does that word suggest?" Example, if the word of advice is "nap", that could suggest "Sleep on the problem".

The adviser and adjectives


In this post the idea is just the same, but I use a randomly generated adjective this time to "flavour" the advice. This takes the format:

Adviser gives X advice.

Where the "X" is an adjective.

(For my example, I'll be thinking about the same creative challenge as the last post: Name 500 uses for a paperclip.)

I use a couple of techniques to generate my list of random adjectives.Using the "adviser gives X advice" format, I pick the random adjective inclusive, which gives:

Adviser gives inclusive advice.

which I will usually just write as:

inclusive advice.

Then, it's just a case of interpreting that, asking myself "What could inclusive advice be?" Maybe:

inclusive advice = get family and friends to join in the paperclip challenge.

Here's some more examples:

Silly advice: Eat the paperclip
Sibilant advice: Bend the paperclip into a snake shape.
Silent advice:
Silent advice: Read other people's minds for ideas
Quiet advice: Meditate to see if you get inspiration.
Quotidian advice: Do one paperclip idea a day. Have a daily quota.
Common advice: Consider how a paperclip could be used on objects around you now
Common advice: Use a paperclip as a bookmark.
Corny advice: Use the paperclip as a paperclip.
Trite advice: Use the paperclip to keep pieces of paper together.
Tried advice: Find out what paperclips have already been used for.
Tricky advice: Make a paperclip disappear, as a magic trick.

tl;dr: When you are working on an activity, imagine there's an adviser sitting with you offering advice. The advice is in an adjectival form, and you have to interpret that adjective and transform it into advice about your current activity/challenge. 

See also: How to create a list of adjectives quickly.

No comments: